Rancho Penasquitos fire started in garage, spread to condo

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – Firefighters battled a condo fire in Rancho Penasquitos that started in a garage Tuesday.

A garage fire was started when a man was attempted to work on fuel leak of an older model car, fire investigators said. The flames quickly spread to the second story of the condo on the 11000 block of Via Asti, according to fire officials.

Rescuers eventually found a dog and two cats that live inside the home unharmed.

The cost of the damage is estimated at $40,000.