SAN DIEGO -- Flames damaged an apartment Saturday in the Linda Vista area of San Diego, authorities said.
"It won't be a total loss as far as the structure, but do to the amount of fire in the unit they probably lost most of their furniture and clothing do to smoke," said Battalion Chief Mike Finnerty.
It was reported at 5:20 p.m. in a second-story apartment at 6394 Caminito Luisito, said San Diego Fire Department Capt. Joseph Amador.
One of the 4 people who lived in the home says their elderly mother lit a candle and left it unattended.
"I felt if I was at home this would've never happened. Somebody should have been with her. I feel like this is what i get for leaving her alone," said Laura Chiles.
The first arriving units reported heavy smoke and flames were coming from the second-story apartment, Amador said.
It took firefighters 30 minutes to put out the flames, he said.
4 adults were displaced by the fire, Amador said. No injuries were reported, but the family's cat did not make it out alive.