SAN DIEGO – Talk about the Chargers possibly leaving San Diego is heating up once again, due in part to a tweet by a Los Angeles-based sports anchor.
Fred Roggin, who insisted last year that, according to his sources, the Chargers were staying in San Diego, now says the team is likely to head out of town.
Roggin tweeted Thursday, “Despite best efforts #Chargers are 99% on the way to Los Angeles. Barring last minute unexpected miracle Chargers leaving San Diego.”
Roggin’s tweets have received a lot of attention on social media and have been discussed on sports talk shows, including the “Scott and BR Show” on San Diego-based Mighty 1090 AM. Billy Ray Smith and Scott Kaplan interviewed Roggin Wednesday and spoke to him about his comments and theories about the prospect of the Chargers leaving San Diego.
But Kaplan reminds people who Roggin is and what he does for a living.
“Fred Roggin is a great self-promoter and most people in the media business use the social media platforms to do just that: to self-promote,” Kaplan told FOX 5. “And when you’ve got just a nugget, as soon as you put it out, it can spread like wildfire. I don’t put too much stock in Fred Roggin’s tweets. I bring him on the radio because I think he’s an entertaining guest but I don’t take him as the commissioner of the NFL. So if I were everybody, I would just kind of chill out for a little while. This is all part of the game.”
After a week of gloomy press regarding the Chargers’ future in San Diego, Mayor Kevin Faulconer met for a half-hour Monday with Fred Maas, the team’s advisor on stadium issues.
Only general topics were discussed, and Maas reiterated the desire of team officials to hold off on more substantive talks until after the season, a mayoral spokesman told City News Service.
The Chargers did not comment on the get-together.
The stadium issue arose again last week when a report on ESPN.com said that the San Diego Chargers are “expected to exercise the team’s option” to relocate to Los Angeles.
Read More: Report: Chargers expected to relocate to LA
Last month, San Diego voters rejected ballot Measure C, which would have raised hotel room taxes to partially fund a downtown football stadium for the Chargers. Support came up short for the measure, which required two-thirds voter approval. Fifty-seven percent of voters cast their ballots against the measure and 43 percent voted in favor of it.
Soon after the measure failed, Spanos sent a letter to Chargers fans thanking everyone who supported the measure, and said the team’s future has not yet been decided, and would not be decided until after football season ends.
“In terms of what comes next for the Chargers, it’s just too early to give you an answer,” Spanos said. “We are going to diligently explore and weigh our options, and do what is needed to maintain our options, but no decision will be announced until after the football season concludes and no decision will be made in haste.”
In a pre-election interview with FOX 5 Anchor Kathleen Bade, Spanos said:
“I’m really looking at the support we’re going to get or not get. If we get 30 or 35 percent voter approval, that will tell me something. If we get 55 to 60 percent, that’s pretty compelling. That will tell me something else. But until Tuesday comes and we see the actual vote, there is no Plan B, there is no second strategy in terms of ‘If I get 50 plus one, this is what I’m going to do.’ I want to wait and see what the outcome is and then I’m going to take my time afterwards and decide what I want to do.”