House fire displaces Paradise Hills family

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A family escaped safely after their Paradise Hills home caught fire Tuesday.

Firefighters from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department and the National City Fire Department were sent to the single-story home with an attached garage on Calle Trepadora near Cumberland Street at 2:15 a.m., fire officials said.

The structure fire was knocked down about 20 minutes later. Fireplace ashes left in a trash can near the house sparked the blaze, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

The fire caused about $100,000 in damages. Two adults and two pets living in the home have made temporary housing arrangements.