Rescan your antenna TV

Chargers drop season opener to Chiefs in overtime

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Running back Spencer Ware #32 of the Kansas City Chiefs is gang tackled by Manti Te'o #50, Jahleel Addae #37, and Denzel Perryman #52 of the San Diego Chargers during the game at Arrowhead Stadium on September 11, 2016 in Kansas City. (Getty Images)

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Chargers season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday turned out to be a stunning game.

The Chargers looked so good early on in the match-up in Arrowhead Stadium.

The team’s running back Melvin Gordon scored his first regular season touchdown on the Chargers opening drive of the second quarter. It didn’t take long for Gordon to score another TD 2nd touchdown and helped put San Diego up 14-3.

Play-By-Play Recap: Chargers vs Chiefs

Quarterback Philip Rivers then threw to a wide open Danny Woodhead widening their lead to 21-3.

Late in the second quarter, wide receiver Keenan Allen was running a route and fell down with a knee injury. He was carted off the field by medical staff with a possible ACL tear to his right knee.

The Chargers went 24-3 with a field goal, but the momentum shifted in the fourth quarter in favor of the Chiefs.

With just a minute to go in the game, Chiefs player Spencer Ware ran the pigskin into the end zone tying up the game.

The teams went into overtime and the Chiefs’ 70-yard drive – including a play by Helix High School standout Alex Smith – helped them win the game.

Chargers lost 27-33 to their division opponent.

Next week, the Chargers will host their first home game at Qualcomm Stadium against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.