Rape suspect runs into traffic to avoid reporters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO -- A former Chicago tanning salon owner led the media on a chase outside Cook County Jail Tuesday evening.

Marc Winner is accused of raping four women at least 15 years ago, according to WGN-TV. He's been held without bond since April, but a judge changed that last week.

On Tuesday, Winner refused to answer questions from reporters outside a courthouse and instead made a dramatic exit, running through traffic on busy California Avenue.

WGN-TV does not usually identify alleged rape victims, but Lesley Barton told the news station she does not want to hide in the shadows. She lives in Florida now, but in 2001 Barton says Winner drugged her at a bar, then choked and raped her at the suburban Glenview tanning salon where he worked.

Winner was originally charged with sexual assault in Barton's case, but after a felony review the charge was changed to battery. He took a plea deal and received two years of probation. He later went on to own the Soleil Tanning Salon in the West Loop.

Last year, Winner was charged with choking and raping a customer at the salon. In 2013, he was charged with raping a former employee. That case was dropped and in April prosecutors re-filed the charges.

A week later, Winner was charged in a third case from 2012. Prosecutors say a customer who received a  free tan at the salon, fell asleep and woke up to find Winner raping her.

Winner was freed while awaiting trial, but he will have to adhere to a curfew and electronic monitoring until his next court appearance.

Winner is due back in court August 17.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.