Arizona terror suspect suggested targeting Mission Bay, documents show

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – An 18-year-old Tucson man indicted by the Arizona Grand Jury on multiple terrorism-related charges is accused of conspiring an attack in San Diego.

Court documents released Wednesday had details about Mahin Khan, who was arrested on suspicion of launching acts of terrorism against government buildings in Maricopa and Pima counties, as well as Mission Bay in San Diego County.

According to the documents, during a phone call on April 16, Khan asked an unnamed person if he/she had been to Mission Bay area.

"That's a pretty good target right there. There's a lot of people there," Khan said.

Khan also mentioned targeting Air Force recruitment center in Tucson, documents showed.

FOX 5 San Diego spoke to Mia Garcia, spokesperson for the Arizona Attorney General. Garcia says with respect to Khan, the Attorney General and the FBI believe San Diegans are safe.  In an email she reassured everyone stating, “i want to reiterate, based on the information we have to date, Mission Bay was not Khan's target.”

Mahin Khan

Mahin Khan

Khan was allegedly communicating with unnamed people in April about plans to obtain guns and bombs.  He reached out to Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) member asking for a pressure cooker bomb recipe, the documents revealed.

FBI officials took Khan into custody in Tuscon in July 1 and has been booked into the Maricopa County Jail.

Authorities say they became aware of Khan's plans in April after screening his phone call, text messages and emails, FOX 10 reported.

Investigators also say Khan told them he planned to flee the country to Syria or Pakistan.

Khan's next court date is scheduled for July 12.