Employee severely burned in spray booth fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Chula Vista firefighters douse a spray booth that was destroyed by a fire.

CHULA VISTA, Calif. – An employee has major burns to 30 percent of his body after a fire erupted at a South Bay commercial district Monday afternoon, officials said.

A fire in a South Bay commercial district near the Sweetwater River damaged a shed and left a man suffering from first and second degree burns.

The employee was inside a spray booth at a cabinet shop on North Glover Avenue at 4:30 p.m. when a spray device caught fire, Chula Vista fire officials said. The man attempted to extinguish the fire on his own.

Medics took a man to a hospital for treatment, Lt. Buddy Magor said.

It was not immediately clear what sparked the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.