MODESTO, Calif. - A mutilated puppy recently rescued died days after being diagnosed with the highly contagious canine virus Parvo, KTXL reported Saturday.
A couple found the American pit bull terrier, named Vitus, earlier in the week chained outside a business in Modesto, a city 75 miles south of Sacramento, and profusely bleeding, according to a GoFundMe page.
The puppy's ears had been cut off without sedation, pain medication or antibiotics, according to Dr. Amanpreet Basra of American Pet Clinic in Ceres.
"It is believed that the perpetrator was inside getting another pair of scissors to finish his mutilation job," a post on the fundraising page read. "The good Samaritans scooped him up while the 'owner' told them to leave the dog alone and went back inside the store."
Sonia Cano saw the couple walking with the traumatized puppy and stepped in to help. She called Kate's Rescue, a no kill animal and rescue organization in nearby Ceres, KTXL reported.
"I was horrified for him," said Cano, who decided to take in the dog and is his new owner.
The following day, Vitus started vomiting and had diarrhea. He tested positive for the potentially fatal parvovirus, according to the GoFundMe page.
"There is no medicine that can kill Parvo. We have to support the dog through all the symptoms we see," Basra said. "There's a 70 percent chance they survive."
The puppy's treatment was paid with the help of the GoFundMe page, which has already surpassed its original goal of $1,500.
Unfortunately, Vitus died overnight from complications from the infection, KTXL reported. A memorial service was being planned for the dog later next month.
It was not immediately known whether police were investigating the case.