Firefighters reported smoke coming from the back of the single-story house at 6104 Streamview Dr. when they arrived shortly after 2 p.m., according to Capt Joe Amador.
The fire, which caused about $60,000 in damage, was contained to a bedroom. The homeowner escaped without injury.
The house did not have electricity, according to Amador, who said the owner was living in squalid conditions, without furniture, using candles and apparently getting some electricity from a next-door neighbor.
“The house was really unkempt, not what you would expect to find in a traditional home,'' Amador said. “There was a lot of stuff in it.''
The owner said he would stay with a neighbor and did not need relocation assistance from the Red Cross, according to Amador.