No evidence of shooting at Balboa Naval Medical Center, Navy says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO - After completing several searches Naval investigators have no evidence to substantiate a report of a shooting at Naval Medical Center San Diego Tuesday morning, Navy official said.

After several clearing sweeps of Building 26, they found absolutely nothing to indict that there was a shooting, said Commander of Naval Base San Diego Curt Jones.

“We have found nothing that indicates that any shots were fired,” Jones said.  “I would characterize it as someone who thought they heard something, made reports, and we took appropriate steps.”

“We are investigating now what might have caused (the report). Our priority is to ensure all personnel in that building and this part of the compound is safe and secure,” he said.

Around 8 a.m., a witness reported hearing three shots come from the basement of building 26, which houses a gym and barracks, according to Navy Region Southwest.

Military police and working dogs conducted an initial search, then turned to a more thorough floor-by-floor sweep, according to Navy officials. SWAT teams were also clearing buildings, according to reports from the scene.

Navy spokesman Jon Nylander no evidence of a shooting had been found as of about 10:10 a.m., no casualties had been reported and no one was believed to have been taken into custody.

Officials at the medical center, commonly known as Balboa Hospital, initially urged those already at the facility to "run, hide or fight,'' as law enforcement officers swarmed the compound. Others, including non-emergency response personnel, were asked to stay away.

Authorities at Naval Base San Diego said via Facebook those in the vicinity should shelter in place.

"If in immediate danger, hide or seek shelter in secure space,'' the message stated. "Barricade the door and dial 911. Silence phones and other devices. Stay away from doors and windows. Remain calm and quiet.''

Shortly after 9 a.m., Navy officials announced that the entire complex had been secured, including its childcare facilities, and no one was being allowed access. All children were said to be accounted for and safe.

Nearby Roosevelt Middle, and Garfield and San Diego High schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution, according to the San Diego Unified School District. The lockdown was later lifted, as was a subsequent order for students to shelter in place.

6 comments

  • KellyEAndrews

    “–$–“>>G­­o­­­o­­­g­­l­­e­­­ i­­s­­ <­­-p­­a­­y­­i­­n­­g­­ 9­­7­­$ p­­e­­r h­­o­­u­­r! ­­W­­o­­r­­k ­­f­­­­o­­r ­­f­­­­e­­­­w­­ h­­­­o­­u­­r­­s ­­a­­n­­d h­­a­­v­­e l­­o­­n­­g­­e­­r w­­i­­t­­h­­ f­­­­r­­i­­e­­n­­d­­s & ­­f­­a­­m­­i­­l­­y­­! ­­O­­n ­­t­­u­­e­­s­­d­­a­­y I g­­o­­t ­­a­­ g­­r­­e­­a­­t ­­n­­e­­w­­ L­­a­­n­­d­­ R­­o­­v­­e­­r ­­R­­a­­n­­g­­e ­­R­­o­­v­­e­­r­­ f­­r­­o­­m h­­a­­v­­i­­n­­g e­­a­­r­­n­­e­­d­­ $­­8­­7­­2 t­­h­­i­­s ­­l­­a­­s­­t­­ f­­o­­u­­r­­ w­­e­­­­e­­k­­s.­­.­­ I­­t­­ s­­o­­u­­n­­d­­s­­ u­­n­­b­­e­­l­­i­­e­­v­­a­­b­­l­­e­­ b­­u­­t ­­y­­o­­u w­­o­­n­­t f­­o­­r­­g­­i­­v­­e ­­y­­o­­u­­r­­s­­e­­l­­f i­­f ­­y­­o­­u ­­d­­o­­n­­’­­t­­ c­­h­­e­­c­­k i­­t­­…."
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤ Click.Here.To.Read.Full.Detail….

  • Don

    Dry run to explore response tactics at this government facility??? Religious affiliation of individual making report??? Hey, in today’s world of Terrorism, YOU HAVE TO ASK.

  • 0928texas

    The most bizarre part of this bizarre story was the live spokesman about 9:00 am who said they never asked for local support. They called SDPD to advise them of the issue, but specifically said they weren’t asking for help. And a hundred local LEO showed up, including Sheriff’s SWAT.

Comments are closed.