Watch Live: Sen. Kamala Harris visits migrant mothers separated from children in San Diego

Cooking accident leads to house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO -- A cooking accident set a Chollas Creek-area home ablaze Wednesday, causing an estimated $250,000 worth of damage and leaving two people in need of temporary housing assistance.

Flames began spreading through the rear of the single-story house in the 2300 block of Ridge View Drive about 9:45 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

It took crews roughly 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said.

Investigators determined that unattended food on a propane stove on a back patio caught fire and ignited the residence. The monetary losses were set at $200,000 to the structure and $50,000 to contents.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents -- both adults -- arrange for interim lodging, Amador said.