Watch Live: Democratic Presidential Debate in Ohio

Woman pleads guilty to fatally stabbing her wife

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A woman who fatally stabbed her estranged wife last year as she slept in her San Carlos apartment pleaded guilty Monday to second- degree murder.

Tiffany Nowden, 40, is expected to be sentenced to 20 years to life in prison at a hearing Jan. 22 before Superior Court Judge Frederic Link.

At an earlier hearing, Deputy District Attorney Lindsey Carinci said Nowden and Russina Vale — who had an “on-and-off” relationship — reconnected in November 2013 and got married early the next year.

Things seemed to be going along well until May 2014, when the 38-year- old Vale got into an argument with Nowden at the Barona Casino, where the victim worked. Nowden was escorted off the premises, Carinci said.

The prosecutor said Vale sent an email to family and friends stating that her relationship with Nowden was over and that she was going to get a divorce.

The morning of June 5, 2014, Vale’s co-workers went to her residence on Mission Gorge Road when she failed to show up for work. They did not get an answer when they knocked on the door.

Several hours later, police got a call from a local defense attorney, informing them that they might find a deceased person inside the Mission Gorge Road address.

Officers who made entry found a naked Vale dead in her bed. She had been stabbed in the stomach, right arm and chest, Carinci said.

A witness placed Nowden at the crime scene about 5:30 a.m. the morning of the murder, according to the prosecutor.

Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Glenn Wagner testified that a stab wound under Vale’s armpit pierced her heart and lungs. He said a large kitchen knife – – possibly a butcher knife — was used in the homicide.

Wagner said the victim could have been dead for up to 24 hours before her body was discovered about 6 p.m.

A U.S. Marshals Service task force found Nowden three weeks later at a home on Market Street in Sherman Heights and took her into custody without incident.


Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.