SAN DIEGO — At least 14 people fell ill Sunday in downtown San Diego when they apparently ingested a batch of the synthetic marijuana drug Spice, according to police.
The calls were mainly for young people, with the youngest patient a 13-year-old, according to San Diego Fire Rescue Capt Joe Amador.
Officers responded to multiple medical aid calls from three different locations throughout downtown of people who became sick.
At 3:10 p.m., first responders were on the scene at 6th Avenue and C Street where four patients were transported to area hospitals, two in critical condition, Amador said.
The patients had symptoms varying from seizures to bloody noses, according to Amador.
Another call came in at about 3:30 p.m. from 14th and Imperial regarding two additional patients experiencing similar symptoms. People also reportedly became ill near 7th and Broadway.
It was not immediately clear if the patients were given a drug or took something voluntarily, Amador said.