Family flees home after dryer lint catches fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ESCONDIDO, Calif. — Built-up dryer lint caught fire inside an Escondido residence, but no one was injured, authorities said Wednesday.

The residents of the home on Tutela Heights Road near Sheridan Avenue were able to get out safely as it filled with smoke and call for help around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to a statement from the Escondido Fire Department.

Firefighters kept the blaze from spreading and had it under control in about 15 minutes. Fire officials said the fire caused about $400 in damage.

The dryer fire was apparently sparked by an accumulation of lint in the exhaust vent, according to the statement.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.