Faulconer vows to continue mission to keep Chargers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Kevin Faulconer

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer

SAN DIEGO — A spokesman for Mayor Kevin Faulconer said Monday the city was not surprised by news that the Chargers will apply to move to the Los Angeles area, but said the city will continue to work with the NFL to keep the team in San Diego.

“Given that the Chargers have been working on their L.A. plan since 2013, this isn’t a surprise,” Faulconer spokesman Matt Awbrey told City News Service. “We look forward to our continued talks with the NFL on San Diego’s stadium plan.”

Chargers executive Mark Fabiani went on a San Diego-area sports radio station over the weekend and said the team will apply with the league to move to the Los Angeles area, because the St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders are also poised to do so.

“At this point, yes, because there’s no sign that the other team or teams are not going to file,” Fabiani told XEPRS “the Mighty 10-90” radio.

The Chargers have been working with the Raiders on a plan to build a joint stadium in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson.

Fabiani did not return a request for comment to City News Service.

The St. Louis Rams are planning a stadium at the former Hollywood Park race track site in Inglewood.

“Everyone assumes all three teams will file, and in that case we can’t afford to lose our market in Los Angeles and Orange County,” Fabiani said.

Fabiani is a former Los Angeles deputy mayor and Hollywood Hills resident, and has been the point man on the Chargers’ stadium issues.

The Chargers have been asking for about 15 years for a replacement for aging Qualcomm Stadium, and city officials have determined the current site in San Diego’s Mission Valley is the best location for a new facility.

The Chargers are also monitoring a citizens’ initiative to commit the city of San Diego to a new San Diego stadium on the bay, south of the Center City.

The initiative would be aimed for the June 2016 ballot.

The National Football League will host a public forum at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Spreckels Theatre, 121 Broadway, to hear from Charger fans and the San Diego community.

NFL owners must approve any team relocation. The three teams are expected to make their formal relocation applications early next year.

5 comments

  • TimothySMalone

    ..See Here Now…my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $68 /hour on the internet ”. She has ℬeen fired for ten months ℬut last month her income was $18319 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to here➜➜➜➜➜➜► Go~To~This~Page

  • Mayor completely misses the mark!

    Falconer has messed up priorities! He worries more about entertaining the masses and completely misses the mark when it comes to setting san Diego’s future up for success! Our Schools and public services should be on stand alone solar systems! (grid interactive).

  • Robert Nessler

    Let it go, Mayor – it’s over. They don’t want to be here – so maybe we shouldn’t want them either?

  • Dave

    It’s over. The Chargers are gone. It’s time for the SD political leaders to focus on some important issues like repairing our streets and water distribution system, paying our police and firemen decent wages, and improving our parks and recreation facilities.

  • D.B.

    Mr. Mayor – You’ve given this your best, and we appreciate it, but it’s time to let them go–don’t throw yourself through any more hoops for them–THEY DON”T WANT TO BE HERE!

Comments are closed.