Family saves snakes, pit bull as fire damages their home
SAN DIEGO – A family and their snakes and dog escaped from their house as it burned Tuesday east of San Diego State University.
The non-injury blaze erupted shortly before 11 a.m. in the 6800 block of Julie Street, near 69th Street in the College area, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
A resident who had just gotten out of the shower smelled something burning, checked his garage and found it filled with flames and smoke, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said. The man hurried outside and called 911.
It took engine crews about a half-hour to subdue the fire, which sent a column of thick smoke into the air just east of San Diego State University.
Firefighters summoned animal-control personnel to handle a pet rattlesnake that was among a collection of reptiles being kept in aquariums at the home. None of the creatures appeared to have suffered any ill effects from the blaze, Amador said. The family’s pit bull was also rescued from the fire.
The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents arrange for temporary housing.