Car fire sparked by cigarette spreads to apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A smoking mishap sparked a fire that destroyed a car and damaged two residential structures in Normal Heights Tuesday afternoon, authorities reported.

The non-injury blaze in the 4600 block of 32nd Street broke out shortly before 2 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

It took crews about 20 minutes to extinguish the flames, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said.

A man who lives in the area told firefighters he had just parked in an alley carport at his apartment complex and was unloading his vehicle when a cigarette he was smoking set the sedan ablaze, apparently igniting fumes from charcoal lighter fluid he had spilled in the vehicle during a trip to the beach on Monday.

The fire gutted the vehicle and scorched the carport, the apartment building and a next-door house, Amador said.

Investigators set the combined monetary losses at $225,000.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.