Ex-SDSU football star arrested in alleged DUI fatality

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VISTA, Calif. -- A one-time high school and college football star was behind bars Tuesday on suspicion of driving while intoxicated and causing a crash that killed a 21-year-old Caltrans subcontractor working alongside a North County freeway onramp.

Reginald Grigsby Jr., 31, allegedly was under the influence of some type of drug when he lost control of his Mitsubishi Montero on the connector from South Centre City Parkway to southbound Interstate 15 in Escondido shortly after 2 p.m. Monday, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The vehicle veered off the roadway, rolled down a slope and struck Murrieta resident Leonardo Sandoval, who was repairing a sprinkler system in a median next to the freeway entrance.

Sandoval, the father of a year-old boy and an employee of Perris-based Pacific Restoration Group, died at the scene.

The SUV overturned before coming to rest on its roof next to a offramp from northbound I-15.

Caltrans District 11 Director Laurie Berman called the fatal crash "a stark reminder of the dangers of working along our highways.''

"Words cannot express the emotions regarding this totally preventable loss of life,'' Berman said.

Grigsby, a standout athlete at El Camino High School who went on to be a top tackler for the San Diego State University Aztecs football team from 2003 to 2006, suffered minor injuries in the accident.

After being treated at Palomar Medical Center, the Oceanside resident was arrested and booked into county jail in Vista on suspicion of felony DUI and vehicular manslaughter. He was being held on $125,000 bail pending arraignment, scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

In 2009, Grigsby pleaded guilty to an assault charge for beating and choking his mother during an argument in her Fallbrook home. His father, a captain with the Oceanside Police Department, halted the assault by retrieving a pistol and shooting his then-25-year-old son, according to prosecutors.


Comments are closed.