Rescan your antenna TV

Family homeless after cigarette sparks condo fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Firefighters cut a hole in the roof of a burning condominium on Adobe Falls Road.

SAN DIEGO — A fire scorched a Del Cerro condominium Wednesday morning, causing an estimated $350,000 in damage and leaving a woman and her three teenage sons in need of emergency housing.

A smoldering cigarette sparked the non-injury blaze in the 5400 block of Adobe Falls Road about 11:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

It took crews roughly 15 minutes to subdue the flames, which were largely confined to the front of the second-floor unit, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said. A downstairs residence sustained minor water damage.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents arrange for interim lodging.

Investigators set the monetary losses at about $300,000 to the structure and $50,000 to contents, Swanson said.


Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.