2 Chula Vista church workers burned during explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Two men were burned after an explosion at their Chula Vista church Saturday.

Chula Vista fire investigators said the church workers had a homemade stove consisting of a six ounce soda can punctured with tiny holes with an aluminum sheet on top. One of them added fuel to it to demonstrate how it worked inside the Calvary Chapal in the 1700 block of East Palomar Street.

The homemade stove exploded and started a fire around 3 p.m. that severely burned one man and burned the other.

It then spread to part of the church office, torching a wall and some furniture.

When fire crews arrived the fire already was extinguished, the Chula Vista Fire Department said. It checked the building for safety reasons.

Both men were taken to UCSD Regional Burn Center, officials said.

Chula Vista fire investigator Richard Gari said homemade stoves is a problem he’s seeing too often right now, and people frequently get their ideas from YouTube demo videos.

Google Map for coordinates 32.631847 by -116.985322.

1 Comment

  • KellyDRusso

    my ℬest friend’s half-sister makes $81 /hour on the laptop,,She has ℬeen out of a job for five months but last month her check was $12862 just working on the laptop for a few hours. try this web-site….. Read More

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.