LA could be in the running for 2024 Olympics after Boston backs out
LOS ANGELES – Boston’s short-lived campaign to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics ended Monday after months of struggles with local opposition and low public support.
Officials from the city and the U.S. Olympic Committee issued a joint statement announcing the withdrawal. The USOC also said it will immediately begin exploring the possibility of a replacement city — which opens the door for Los Angeles.
It was just in January that Boston edged out Los Angeles in a USOC competition to become the sole American bidder. Though USOC officials say they have not spoken with Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office since then, it has been no secret that Los Angeles would be ready and willing to step in at the last minute.
If the USOC intends to move forward, it must submit an official bid to the International Olympic Committee by mid-September.
“I continue to believe that Los Angeles is the ideal Olympic city and we have always supported the USOC in their effort to return the Games to the United States,” Garcetti said in a statement. “I would be happy to engage in discussions with the USOC about how to present the strongest and most fiscally responsible bid on behalf of our city and nation.”