Man leaps from balcony to escape burning home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO - A Rolando man was recovering in the hospital Tuesday after leaping from a balcony to escape his burning  home.

Some clothes in the man's dryer caught fire around 10 p.m. Monday and quickly spread throughout the home at 5818 Estelle Street, firefighters said. Three neighbors went outside to investigate after hearing a smoke alarm.

The man went upstairs as the flames spread and the neighbors could see him opening doors and windows to allow smoke to escape, unaware that the fire was getting worse. He eventually got stuck on the balcony after the flames spread throughout the residence.

Neighbors convinced him to jump to escape the burning home and caught him when he did.

The man was taken to the hospital with minor injuries to his leg.

The fire caused about $100,000 in damage, authorities said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.