Eric Weddle attends Chargers minicamp amid contract negotiations
SAN DIEGO – Eric Weddle made his first appearance at San Diego Chargers minicamp Tuesday and addressed his contract situation.
Weddle had previously skipped the voluntary workouts as part of a dispute over his salary. Apparently, the team told Weddle that his age is playing a factor in their decision.
“It’s obvious that I am not part of the Chargers’ long term plans,” Weddle said. “I wish the organization was upfront with me from day one.”
The free safety is holding out for a multiple year contract with the Chargers, but is open to entertaining other NFL offers.
The Chargers website describes Weddle as “A leader of the Chargers’ defense and one of the squad’s top special teams performers, Weddle earned his second Pro Bowl appointment and his second Chargers Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2013.”
The three day mini-camp gives the coaches a better look at some of the younger players, many of whom are taking the field with the veterans for the first time. Much of the focus Tuesday was on Weddle as he enters the final year of his deal.
Weddle said he was excited to rejoin the team at practice.
The minicamp runs through Thursday with training camp.
The upcoming season set to begin in late July. The dates for training camp, including which practices will be open to the public, have not yet been released.