SAN DIEGO – The Chargers released suggestions prior to a meeting with a task force that will make recommendations for finding a location and financing a new football stadium in San Diego.
Task force member Jim Steeg, a former National Football League executive and ex-Chargers chief operating officer, said the nine-member group will meet for two hours with Mark Fabiani, the Chargers point-man in their long search for a new playing facility.
In an interview Friday on the Mighty 1090 radio station, Steeg said Fabiani will provide background on everything that's taken place with their stadium search over the years.
Steeg said that while the Chargers are a part of the stadium conversation, they aren't the only part.
“This is about something for everybody,'' Steeg said.
“The focus has been 10 NFL games a year, or hopefully, 11 or 12 with the playoffs,'' he said. “The idea is this is about a venue about umpteen events during a year.''
Steeg said other events would include San Diego State football contests, bowl games, the college football playoffs and soccer matches, among other things.''
Mayor Kevin Faulconer appointed the nine-member task force last month, with an eye toward developing a plan by this fall. That would give city officials time to put together a ballot measure for the 2016 election cycle.
Last week, the mayor also made public various documents related to the Chargers' decade-plus search for a new playing facility to replace aging Qualcomm Stadium.
The documents are located on the website for the city's Real Estate Assets Department at http://www.sandiego.gov/real-estate-assets/index.shtml. The links will be found by clicking “Related Links'' and then “Stadium Information and Research.''
Steeg and group Chairman Adam Day said an open meeting will be scheduled in a few weeks to take public input.