SAN DIEGO -- San Diego city officials are taking measures to prevent the spread of measles after a case was reported at the City Operations Building downtown.
Thursday morning, staff members at the Development Services Department received an e-mail alerting them they could have been exposed to the sickness.
Fox 5 obtained a copy of the e-mail sent to employees. The e-mail read in part: “Public Health Services has confirmed a case of measles at your work site.”
County officials confirmed the case but would not specify if it was a visitor or an employee.
The email went to staff members on the 5th floor, alerting them they may have been exposed if they worked between Jan. 12 and 14.
According to the e-mail, high-risk hours include Monday between 6:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
A source close to Fox 5 said the patient with measles is a city employee who admitted to being in contact with another person with the illness.
“The city crews are working very closely. We take all issues of health very seriously and we will take all appropriate steps,” said Mayor Kevin Faulconer.
Here is a list of San Diego County locations and times of possible exposures to measles:
- City of San Diego Operations Building, 1222 First Ave., San Diego, Jan. 12 from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Jan. 13 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Jan. 14 from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- CVS Pharmacy, 2760 Fletcher Parkway, El Cajon, Jan. 14 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Vons, 2800 Fletcher Parkway, El Cajon, Jan. 14 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Sharp-Rees-Steely Urgent Care Clinic, 5525 Grossmont Center Drive, La Mesa, on Jan. 3 between 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and Jan. 14 from noon until the clinic was closed at 1 p.m.
- Rite Aid Pharmacy, 1665 Alpine Blvd., Alpine, Jan. 13 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Trader Joes, 5495 Grossmont Center Drive, La Mesa, Jan. 12 from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Absolute Personal Fitness, 2000 Main Street, Julian, Jan 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Julian Fitness Center, 2216 Main Street, Julian, Jan. 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
The previously reported cases may have exposed members of the public at this location:
- Parkway Plaza Mall in El Cajon, Dec. 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. only, especially in or around GameStop, Sunglasses Hut and the carousel in the mall.
None of the locations listed have a current risk for measles and no cases have yet been identified linked to exposures at these sites. All cases either reported travel to Disneyland on Dec. 18, 2014 or were close contacts to someone who visited the park. Only one of the local cases was vaccinated for measles.