Cat dies in Coronado apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CORONADO, Calif. — An early-morning fire Thursday in a second-story apartment in Coronado killed a cat and may have been caused by a floor heater, a fire official said.

A person walking their dog about 7:30 a.m. called in the fire in the 400 block of G Avenue, Coronado Bat. Fire Chief Perry Peake told 10 News San Diego.

“The temperature dipped quite a bit last night,” Peake said. “That could have caused the floor heater to come on.”

Coronado firefighters responding to the blaze in the apartment and the garage below it worked quickly to prevent it from spreading to other units.

Peake said the resident of the apartment was away for the holiday. He said a pet cat was found dead inside the residence.

Noting significant damage to the floor heater and the area around it, Peake cautioned residents of the need to keep combustibles away from the electric devices, and to have them checked annually.

No estimate of damages to the apartment or its contents was given.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.