Calling the campaigns between incumbent Scott Peters and candidate Carl DeMaio a contrast is an understatement. The two candidates have run one of the nastiest and negative campaigns leading up to the election.
It was reported Sunday that 25-year-old Navy veteran Justin Harper said DeMaio came into a men's restroom at his campaign headquarters and exposed himself.
Previously, another former campaign aide accused DeMaio of fondling himself in his office. The onetime mayoral candidate was investigated for sexual harassment, but prosecutors declined to file charges because they didn't have enough evidence.
“I will not join Mr. Peters in the mud,” said DeMaio. “It’s character assassination attempt like non-other we’ve seen.”
DeMaio was referring to his former staffer’s allegations of sexual misconduct. He claimed Peters and his team orchestrated the allegations. He pointed out a published report revealing email exchanges between his opponent’s staff and his former staff members.
“Emails sent by Peters campaign to these individuals coordinating them and coaching them on how to advance their false smear campaigns against me,” said DeMaio.
Peters was asked by several media outlets about the emails at Monday’s morning press conference.
“No one in my campaign has made these accusations. These are accusations made by two members of Mr. DeMaio’s staff,” said Peters. “These people are loyal republicans who used to consider him a hero and these are questions Mr. DeMaio needs to respond to.”
The San Diego Police Department was unclear on whether there was an investigation into the latest allegations against DeMaio, but told Fox 5 all claims of criminal activity are taken seriously and investigated thoroughly.
Fox 5 was also informed several members of the media had been blocked from DeMaio’s Twitter page. Dave McCullough with the campaign said several people handle DeMaio’s Twitter account, the problem was fixed once it was discovered people were blocked.