Boy shocked at birthday party comes out of coma

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Elijah Belden

Elijah Belden (Photo: Facebook)

SAN DIEGO — A 10-year-old boy who was severely shocked when he grabbed an electrified pole last week has come out of a medically induced coma and is showing signs of improvement, according to his family.

Elijah Belden remained hospitalized Monday at Rady Children’s Hospital, according to the family’s Facebook page. His medical team is not allowing visitors other than his immediate family to see him,

The boy’s his heart stopped beating as a result of being shocked, Elijah’s father Tony Belden said.

Belden was celebrating his upcoming 10th birthday with his family at their home in Temecula when he grabbed a pole that somehow had become electrified by a string of lights.

The boy’s baseball coach, who is an Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputy, was attending the party and performed CPR until paramedics arrived, the boy’s father, Tony Belden said.

The boy was taken to the pediatric intensive care unity at Rady’s Children Hospital in San Diego and placed in an induced coma.

According to the family’s Facebook page, the boy can now breath on his own but need additional treatments to strengthen his lungs.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.