Tuesday, hundreds flooded the Escondido City Hall asking members of the city’s planning commission to reconsider their denial of a nonprofit’s request to open a federally funded facility to house the influx of unaccompanied minors from Central America at the US-Mexico border.
“Where is your compassion for these children who are seeking asylum,” said one demonstrator to commissioners during a public hearing Tuesday night.
The city’s planning commission denied the request to open the facility in a vacant building at a heated public meeting last month based on overwhelming public opposition.
“There is no parking there, where are they going to park,” said one woman who lives near the proposed facility on the 1800 block of Camino del Diablo.
Attorneys with the ACLU said public opposition to the facility isn’t enough to deny the request and is likely against the law.
“There may well be serious legal problems with the way Escondido has handled this process and that we’re investigating whether the city of Escondido is in compliance with federal law,” said ACLU legal director, David Loy.
Officials with the ACLU say they will appeal the decision.