Former fraternity house catches fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — Five people were displaced when discarded smoking material caught a former fraternity house on fire near San Diego State University early Wednesday, authorities said.

house fireThe fire at the 5000 block of College Avenue was reported at 5:12 a.m. and knocked down about 25 minutes later, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson. No injuries were reported.

The fire was started by smoldering smoking material in a trash can, Swanson reported, adding that damage was estimated at $150,000 to the structure, $50,000 to its contents and $50,000 to exterior things.

Five college students were the house when the fire started and were able to escaped without injury.

According to Swanson, the house was formerly a fraternity house, but is not privately owned and is a rental property.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.