RE-WATCH: Trump and Putin take questions from media following summit

Mother accused of prison escape faces extradition to Michigan

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO – Bad winter weather was attributed to the arrest of an alleged Michigan fugitive in San Diego 37-years after she escaped prison, law enforcement agencies said.

The bad weather in Michigan gave detectives time to dust off old files, included Judy Lynn Hayman’s case. Detectives put Hayman’s fingerprints into the FBI’s database and it lead them straight to their suspect – now known as Jamie Lewis.

layman before and after webLewis, 60, was taken into custody Monday night, 37-years after she allegedly escaped from a Michigan prison.  She was just 23 years old when she escaped prison on April 14, 1977.

According to police, Lewis’s 32-year-old son Aaron, the oldest of three boys, was with her when she was arrested. He did not appear to know about her past.

It’s unclear how she escaped prison in 1977, but she served 8 months of a 18 to 24-month sentence for stealing clothes.

Her neighbors also said they were in disbelief that Lewis was hiding from the law.

“I’m shocked!” said Padilla, who lived next door to her for seven years. “I couldn’t believe it.”

Theresa Padilla lived next door to Lewis and described her as quiet and very private – there was no indication that anything was amiss.

“She was a loner, not really outspoken-mainly quiet,” said Padilla. “She kept to herself a lot.”

Lewis and Padilla shared a common bond of surviving cancer.

“She had cancer and I needed radiation,” Padilla said.

Lewis’s three sons were always around and took good care of their mother, Padilla added.

“She seemed to raise them well and they never gave her any problems and they were always nice to me,” she said.

Lewis is being held at Las Colinas Women’s Detention Facility in Santee. Her first extradition hearing is Thursday morning.

If she doesn’t fight it, she will be sent back to Michigan immediately. If she decides to contest it, she’ll be back in court Friday.


Comments are closed.