Fire destroys elderly couple’s home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A husband and wife, both 90 years old, were able to escape safely Tuesday as a fire spread from their kitchen through the rest of their Bay Park home, authorities reported.

The blaze in the 3600 block of Cowley Way erupted shortly after noon and destroyed the single-story residence near Tecolote Canyon along with the couple’s car, which was parked in the driveway, according to Maurice Luque of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. It took crews about 15 minutes to subdue the non-injury blaze.

The woman told investigators that the blaze started when her gas stove exploded in flame for unknown reasons as she was turning on a burner, Luque said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the residents make housing arrangements.

Investigators set the damages at $300,000 to the structure, and another $150,000 to contents and the burned vehicle, Luque said.