DAVIS, Calif. — Someone tried to ignite leaking gas and blow up a fraternity house at UC Davis on Sunday as members slept inside, officials said.
Residents of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity reported smelling natural gas around 1 a.m. Sunday. According to an alert posted by the college, someone deliberately caused the leak and then tried to ignite the gas with “several residents” inside.
“We smelled the gas, and we knew something was up,” Fredy Aguilar, vice president of the fraternity, told Fox 40.
The explosion would have taken out the house and damaged surrounding properties, officials said.
Police, meanwhile, warned all student groups to be vigilant about suspicious activity in the wake of the incident. Davis police officers were stationed near the fraternity overnight to keep watch.