Autopsy: Anesthesia may have contributed to dental patient’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — The family of a San Diego business owner who died getting his wisdom teeth pulled said an autopsy confirms what they suspected — an overdose of anesthesia.

Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 10.16.06 PMBack in March, 24 year-old Marek Lapinski went in for the dental procedure in Temecula.  According to the Los Angeles County coroner, he was given six different sedatives.

During the surgery, Lapinski began coughing and was given a dose of propofol.  There was a dramatic and prolonged drop in Lapinski’s oxygen levels.  He went into cardiac arrest and later died at the hospital.

“Somebody that’s given anesthesia like that – that you need to be prepared for something to go wrong and they were not,” said April Lapinski, Marek’s mother.

Dr. Steven Paul performed the surgery.  Lapinski’s mother said Dr. Paul had no answers as to what happened when he went to the hospital.

Fox 5 visited Dr. Paul’s office to try to speak to him, but were told he was in a meeting.

“I don’t want anybody else to have to go through what we have gone through.  It is an absolutely senseless mistake,” said Lapinski.

The Lapinski family plans to take legal action, but is first waiting on a report from the Dental Board of California.

3 comments

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.