Mother of Benghazi victim angered by State staffers resignments

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — The senior State Department officials known as the “Benghazi Four” are going back to work and it’s not sitting well with some lawmakers and the families of the victims.

They have been on administrative leave since December, but Secretary of State John Kerry gave the green light for them to be reassigned.

Local mother of Benghazi victim speaks out“I still see pictures on that TV of bloody finger prints on the wall thinking ‘are those my son’s?’” Patricia Smith said.

It’s been almost a year since Smith’s son, Sean Smith, was killed along with three other Americans during the September 11 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.

On the eve of the anniversary, she’s still fighting the same confusion and anger.

“Nobody cares, nobody cares and people of the United States, Hilary doesn’t give a damn about you!” Smith said.

Adding insult to her heartbreak, after an independent investigation, the State Department announced Tuesday that four high-ranking officials who had been put on administrative leave following the attack will be reassigned to different positions in the department.

“What the secretary and his team has been doing over the last months is doing more fact finding going into what happened on the ground, but also looking at the totality of these four employees’ careers at the State Department,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said during a press conference.

“They’ve served in tough places, there were a lot of examples where they’ve had very exemplary careers,” Harf added. “That was all looked at as we made this determination of what was appropriate.”

That rational does little to ease Smith’s concerns and she’s not alone.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Vista), Chair of the House oversight committee, issued a statement saying:

“Instead of accountability, the State Department offered a charade that included false reports of firings and resignations and now ends in a game of musical chairs where no one misses a single day on the State Department payroll.  It is now clear that the personnel actions taken by the Department in response to the Benghazi terrorist attacks was more of a public relations strategy than a measured response to a failure in leadership.”

6 comments

  • Concerned American

    May the truth be found for this women and all those that have lost a loved one in this mess of a cover~up. The administration at the helm is to blame along with those that continue to cover~up this mess.

    We all know were the buck stops.

  • Linda

    I doubt the investigations by the State Dept. It was just time off for those employees. I still want to know who said "Stand down!" to those men who were ready to go in and help. Who knew how long Chris was going to live? He might still have been alive when they got there. Ms. Lamb is the one who got the original call from there saying they were under attack. The order should have been given right then to go ahead and send in troops. If ole Hilary had been there, they would've, bet'cha! She's a bald-faced liar: "What difference does it make?" Hell, lady, it makes a lot of difference to us; maybe not to you but to a lot of people who are loyal to their country and to their defenders. Why don't you go in there with just a couple guards and see how you fare? I wouldn't trust her with my beloved dog. So there! Mrs. Smith is correct, America, believe her.

Comments are closed.