Rescan your antenna TV

IB man faces judge after police standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A domestic violence suspect who allegedly assaulted a deputy, then holed up inside a neighbor’s Imperial Beach home for several hours before surrendering, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to a half-dozen charges.

Richard Allen Perez, 30, was ordered held on $300,000 bail on charges including felony resisting arrest and misdemeanor violation of a restraining order.

The chain of events that led to Perez’s arrest began about 7 a.m. Friday, when neighbors reported a family disturbance in the 1400 block of 14th Street.

Prosecutor Brian Erickson alleged that Perez tried to get into his wife’s apartment, in violation of a previous restraining order, then punched a responding deputy in the face and ran off. The deputy suffered minor injuries and was taken to a hospital to be checked out.

Perez then allegedly forcedImperial Beach man accused of standoff with police his way into a nearby apartment on Holly Avenue. A retirement-age man who lives in the unit was able to escape unharmed, sheriff’s officials said. Perez allegedly refused to surrender and instead barricaded the front door and hurled furniture, shards of glass and other items out of a second-floor window toward deputies.

Deputies fired so-called pepper balls, which release a strong chemical irritant, into the residence. The complex’s adjoining units were evacuated as a precaution.

Perez begun speaking with crisis negotiators by late morning and eventually allowed himself to be taken into custody without further incident, sheriff’s officials said.

In addition to resisting arrest and violating a restraining order, Perez is charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer and vandalism. He faces 50 years to life in prison if convicted.

The defendant was out of custody on $50,000 bail for allegedly choking his wife three or four months earlier when he tried to break into her apartment Friday morning, Erickson said.

A readiness conference was scheduled July 10 and a preliminary hearing for July 17.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.