Man dies after being Tasered by sheriff’s deputy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

crime-sceneFALLBROOK — An investigation was under way today in Fallbrook, where a man died shortly after being Tasered by a sheriff’s deputy and bitten by a sheriff’s dog, authorities said.

The incident began about 9:45 p.m. Wednesday when a deputy on patrol saw a car with a flat tire being driven erratically, according to San Diego County sheriff’s Lt. Glenn Giannantonio.

The deputy followed the car and noted several traffic code violations being committed before attempting to pull the driver over, he said in a statement. The driver allegedly stopped briefly, then drove off.

Giannantonio said the deputy pursued the driver until the driver crashed his car into a fence on Hillcrest Place. Following the crash, the driver allegedly ran off and into a house in the 1500 block of Hillcrest Place.

Three deputies chased the driver into the house and tried to take him into custody, according to Giannantonio, who said the deputies used a Taser and a dog while trying to subdue the suspect. The suspect was eventually taken into custody after a fourth deputy arrived and helped make the arrest.

Paramedics were called to evaluate the suspect because of the Taser deployment and dog bite. At about the time paramedics arrived, the suspect stopped breathing, Giannantonio said.

“Despite the life-saving efforts by the paramedics, they were unable to revive the suspect and he was pronounced dead,” he said.

The suspect’s name was expected to be released by the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office following family notification.


Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.