Rescan your antenna TV

Encinitas gunman, wounded deputies identified

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ENCINITAS, Calif. – Investigators Thursday identified a 22-year-old man and the two deputies he wounded before taking his own life during a 10-hour SWAT standoff at his mother’s home.

deputies shot during Encinitas standoff

Colin Snodgrass and James Steinmeyer

The standoff ended at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday when authorities sent a robot into the house in the 700 block of Del Rio Avenue and found the body of Evan Kim Tian Kwik. The 22-year-old man died from a self-inflicted blast from a 12-gauge shotgun found by his body, deputies said.

The incident began around 1 p.m. Wednesday with Kwik’s mother reporting that he was upset that she had recently obtained a restraining order against him and had taken off in her car, according to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.

He returned to the home shortly after 3:30 p.m. and deputies Colin Snodgrass and James Steinmeyer went into the home with the mother’s consent and spoke with Kwik, investigators said. Kwik had hidden in the attic and would not come out, so the deputies set off tear gas. Kwik responded by firing with the shotgun through a ceiling vent, hitting both deputies, according to the sheriff’s office.

Snodgrass, 27, was hit in the leg and suffered serious nerve and muscle damage, authorities said. He will remain at Scripps La Jolla Hospital for two to three weeks, they said.

Steinmeyer, 31, was hit in the face by shotgun pellets. He was treated at the hospital and released Wednesday night.

Kwik fired the shotgun five times at the deputies and killed himself with a sixth round, authorities said. One of the blasts went through a wall of the house and a  fence, ending up in a neighbor’s couch, they said.

During the standoff, the Red Cross turned the Encinitas Community Center into a shelter for about 25 area-residents displaced by the police activity. Those residents were allowed back in their homes Thursday morning.

Kwik had a history of substance abuse problems and deputies had been called to his mother’s home three times in the last three years, investigators said. The most recent call was on Dec. 12, 2012, for a suicide attempt, they said.

An account at San Diego County Credit Union was set up by Deputy Sheriff’s Association for donations in support of Snodgrass’s recovery.


  • Mark Justice

    They should have introduced lead instead. Get well wishes to these officers who showed great restraint in dealing with the doper loser.

  • Martin

    So 100 police cars, a few helicopters, law enforcement officers and bystanders in danger for hours and this "troubled" (cough cough.. loser) guy offs himself? A 40mm HE round would have ended this with the same results in less than 30 seconds. Why endanger people and waste taxpayer dollars over some jerk like this guy to try to arrest him to pay for him in prison?

    Get well, brothers.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.