Heavy fog suspends third round action at Farmers Insurance Open

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

fog golfLA JOLLA, Calif. – Fog delayed the start of play in Saturday’s third round of the $6.1 million Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Golf Club by three hours, then heavy fog rolled back in after five minutes, leading to a suspension of play, which was never resumed.

The round was scheduled to begin at 7:20 a.m., but did not start until 10:20 a.m.

Only two three-player groups teed off, with one group finishing its first hole before play was suspended at 10:25 a.m.

Play was called off for the day at 4 p.m. due to heavy fog and darkness.

“The low sun angle that we have and the elevation of Torrey Pines, it’s just a perfect scenario for the fog,” said Stewart Williams, the PGA Tour’s on-site meteorologist.

“The little bit of sun we did get today was overpowered by just the saturation of the atmosphere, so we just couldn’t overcome it today.”

If the tournament “were in any other location” in the San Diego area, “we’d have played a lot of golf today, but I think just the elevation of where we are here just really hurt us,” Williams said.

Visibility was reduced to one-eighth and one-quarter of a mile during parts of the day in Oceanside, Carlsbad and other parts of San Diego, “but a lot of the day, they were sitting at four- or five-mile visibilities,” Williams said.

This was the first time the Farmers Insurance Open had a suspension of play since 2005 when fog caused suspensions on the second and third days of the tournament.

“I knew it was going to get foggy out there, but I didn’t expect it to be this bad,” said Billy Horschel, who is in second, two shots behind Tiger Woods.

Play is scheduled to resume at 7 a.m. Sunday, but fog and rain are possibilities, Williams said.

“There is another system that’s going to be dropping southward and bring another shower chance,” Williams said.

“If it’s not raining in the morning, we’ll stay socked in and still have fog issues to deal with.” ¬†Williams said he is “really hoping” it starts to rain because “that will mix the atmosphere some and that will help lift this fog deck.”

“Then we’ll play in some light rain, but as we go through the day, as this front progresses toward us and moves through us, the wind is expected to pick up, especially in the afternoon, 10 to 15 miles an hour, and that would definitely help us out a lot,” Williams said.

All Saturday tickets, including hospitality badges, will be valid for general grounds entry on Sunday.

Only fans with Sunday hospitality badges will be allowed entry into hospitality venues.

The tournament is set to conclude on Monday when “it’s going to be cold for Southern California standards, but we’ll play in that,” Williams said.

Admission will be free on Monday, with parking free on the Glider Port.

Shuttles will run from Del Mar (Solana Gate) and UTC executive lots for $15.

“We felt it was the right thing to do because of the recent weather issues,” said Peter Ripa, the tournament’s executive director.


Comments are closed.