Solar panel installers spark apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

sdfdSAN DIEGO – A welding torch sparked a fire Tuesday that damaged the roof of a City Heights apartment building and caused one woman to suffer non-life-threatening respiratory distress, authorities said.

The blaze at the corner of 47th Street and University Avenue erupted about 1 p.m. as workers were installing solar panels on the roof of the apartment building, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Crews were able to confine the flames to the roof of the two-story structure and had them extinguished within 10 minutes, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.

An asthmatic 62-year-old woman who evacuated one of the rental units along with her adult daughter and toddler granddaughter was treated at the scene for respiratory trouble, Luque said. The fire caused no other reported injuries or medical problems.