SAN DIEGO — San Diego County officials urged residents in the unincorporated areas to prepare for the upcoming winter rainy season by stocking up on free sandbags to prevent soil erosion and mudslides on their properties.
Heavy rains can cause severe erosion, especially where foliage has not fully recovered from fires, according to county officials. Sandbags can help prevent storm water runoff and mud from blocking roadways and clogging flood control systems and storm drains.
The county’s Department of Public Works is offering free sand and sandbags at locations in the unincorporated areas.
Residents should bring a shovel to fill the bags.
Free sandbags are available at:
- Alpine, Alpine Fire Protection District, Station 17, 1364 Tavern Road (BAGS ONLY).
- Bonita, Bonita/Sunnyside Fire Department, 4900 Bonita Road.
- Dulzura, Cal Fire Station 30, 17304 Highway 94.
- Fallbrook, North County Fire Protection District, Station 4: 4375 Pala Mesa Drive.
- Julian, Cal Fire Station 50: 1587 Highway 78.
- Pauma Valley-Rincon, Cal Fire Station 70: 16971 Highway 76.
- Ramona, Cal Fire Mount Woodson Station: 16310 Highway 67.
- Valley Center, Cal Fire Station 73: 28205 N. Lake Wohlford Road.