SAN DIEGO – Two of three juveniles accused, along with an 18-year- old, of sexual assaulting a teenage girl after she passed out while binge- drinking with them in a Lincoln Park canyon appeared Tuesday before a Juvenile Court judge.
No details of the scheduled detention hearing were released; a spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office would only say that another hearing is set for Dec. 13.
The juveniles accused in the Nov. 26 assault are a 14-year-old girl and two 17-year-old boys. One of the three was arraigned last week, but it was unclear which one.
In addition to the three juveniles, one adult — identified as 18-year- old Raatib Quidar Prince — stands accused in the canyon assault.
Prince was ordered held on $100,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to sexual penetration of an intoxicated person. He faces a maximum of eight years in state prison if convicted of the felony charge, according to Deputy District Attorney Karl Husoe.
About 9 p.m. Nov. 26, a passer-by spotted the blacked-out 16-year-old victim in a gorge off the 300 block of 49th street. Medics took her to a hospital, where she was admitted in “grave condition,” San Diego police Lt. Anastasia Smith said. The girl remained unconscious until about 10 the following morning.
Detectives determined that she and teenage companions had consumed “large quantities” of straight vodka prior to the alleged assault.
“Although she was unconscious for several hours, none of the suspects called for help,” the lieutenant said.
Investigators believe the girl had passed out about five hours prior to being rescued. She has since been released from the hospital and is expected to fully recover, Smith said.
The alleged victim is acquainted with the juvenile suspects and Prince, and attends the same high school as several of them, according to police, who declined to identify the campus. All five of them live near the open area where the unconscious girl was found.
Prince is scheduled to be back in court Thursday for a bail review. A readiness conference is set for Dec. 12 and a preliminary hearing for Dec. 14.