SAN DIEGO — A coyote killed a 3-year-old Jack Russell terrier and injured two other dogs in a rare daytime attack in the yard of a Rancho Santa Fe residence, officials with animal center announced Thursday.
Officials with the Helen Woodward Animal Center issued a warning Thursday in hopes of preventing similar incidents.
According to officials with the center, Evon Warner left her four dogs in her fenced backyard as she left to run an errand about 11 a.m. Wednesday. When she returned less than an hour later, she found her 2-year-old Dachshund “Heiny” suffering from bite wounds to his stomach and shoulder; her 8-year- old Poodle-terrier mix, “Lily,” with severe wounds to her head and neck; and 9-year old Shih Tzu, “Mikey,” uninjured.
The Jack Russell terrier “Wyatt” was fatally injured.
“I’m sure he was protecting them,” Werner told center officials. “He was fearless. He had to distract the coyote to save them.”
Werner said neighbors told her they had heard noises then saw a coyote jumping over her 7-foot steel fence.
A coyote bite to the neck tends to be fatal as coyotes instinctively break the necks of their victims, according to the Helen Woodward Animal Center.
The two injured canines were treated at Helen Woodward’s Companion Animal Hospital and were placed on antibiotics and pain medication, according to animal center officials.
Animal officials said they’ve seen coyote attacks before. Last year, a 2-year-old Maltipoo named Sophie protected a puppy from a coyote attack. Both dogs survived the attack.
Helen Woodward Animal Center and the Companion Animal Hospital staff said pet owners should keep pets inside between dusk and early morning — when coyotes hunt primarily hunt for food — and use a short leash if heading outside for a bathroom break. Pet owners should also avoid leaving food in their yards, including pet food and fruit that has fallen from trees.
Nighttime walks should be avoided, or if absolutely necessary, pet- owners should use a very short leash.
Backyard fences should be at least 6 feet high to prevent coyotes from leaping over. Coyotes are also known to dig, so animal center officials recommended installing a vinyl lattice 2 to 3 feet below ground.