Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates

SAN FRANCISCO –  Video from the helmet camera of a firefighter responding to the crash landing of an Asiana Airlines flight in San Francisco shows at least one rescuer was aware someone was on the ground outside the aircraft and even warned a colleague. Yet two fire trucks subsequently ran over an injured passenger.

The video, first aired by CBS News on Tuesday, shows the girl, 16-year-old Ye Meng Yuan, lying in the grass before she was struck, according to an attorney for her family. A coroner concluded she was alive at the time and died when she was later hit by a fire truck.

Video reveals Asiana crash firefighters saw girl before hitting, killing herIn the video, a firefighter with a helmet camera tells the driver of a fire truck that there’s a person in front of him. A fire truck-mounted camera shows a firefighter directing the truck away from the person.

What’s not clear from the video is why rescuers didn’t try to move or clearly mark the presence of the person on the ground during the chaotic aftermath of the July 6 crash at San Francisco International Airport.

Shortly after the crash, rescue officials confirmed that one of the plane crash victims was run over by a fire truck. Firefighters told investigators they assumed the girl was dead and hurried on toward the damaged aircraft, according to documents released by the NTSB.

“This is not a matter of us being careless or callous,” Assistant Deputy Chief Dale Carnes told the federal safety board last month. “It was the fact we were dealing with a very complex environment.”

The video, which was released to The Associated Press on Wednesday by attorneys for the girl’s family, reflected much of what officials have said, only with more detail.

About 15 minutes after the driver of the fire truck was alerted to the girl’s presence, the video shows that same truck running over her, according to CBS. Footage of her being run over was not aired in the CBS News broadcast.

The helmet camera shows another truck driving over her minutes after that, according to CBS News, which said it obtained the video from a person close to Yuan’s family.

The San Francisco Chronicle first reported on the video’s content, but did not release the video publicly.

It’s still unknown how Yuan got out of the plane. Interviews for an ongoing National Traffic Safety Board investigation found Yuan was covered with foam and struck twice.

“At least five firefighters knew of her presence before she was covered in foam. Nobody examined her, nobody touched her, nobody protected her, moved her or did anything to take her out of harm’s way, and then they abandoned her there,” said Anthony Tarricone, an attorney for Yuan’s family, which has filed a legal claim against the City of San Francisco.

San Francisco fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said on Wednesday she could not comment on the video because of the pending litigation, though she confirmed there were videos and a few still photographs of the scene that were taken by firefighters and turned over to the department. The videos and photographs were given to attorneys who have filed lawsuits representing victims of the crash, Talmadge said.

San Francisco’s fire chief, Joanne Hayes-White, explicitly banned firefighters from using helmet-mounted video cameras after images from such a recording of the Asiana Airlines crash scene first became public. Hayes-White told the San Francisco Chronicle she was concerned about the privacy of victims and firefighters.

The department subsequently said it was reviewing that policy.

In all, 304 of the 307 people aboard the Asiana flight survived after the airliner slammed into a seawall at the end of a runway during final approach for landing.

Read more at Fox News.

A 16-year-old Chinese student who was aboard Asiana Airlines Flight 214 was still alive when a firetruck ran over her, the San Mateo County coroner said Friday.

Ye Mengyuan died of “multiple blunt injuries that are consistent with being run over by a motor vehicle,” said San Mateo County Coroner Robert J. Foucrault said in a news conference. “Those injuries she received, she was alive at the time.”

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 (@NTSB)

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 (@NTSB)

Ye was one of three passengers killed. Her body was found close to the aircraft’s left wing following the July 6 crash-landing at San Francisco International Airport, officials said.

Gordon Shyy, a spokesman for the San Francisco Police Department, said the girl was outside the jet and covered in fire retardant foam when the fire truck “went over her.”

San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White said last week that fire officials immediately notified police — as well as the FBI and National Transportation Safety Board — when they learned Ye might have been struck. The drivers of all five trucks at the scene tested negative for drugs and alcohol, she added.

Ye was from the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang and was part of a group of teenagers heading for a three-week church summer camp in West Hills.

Sixteen-year-old Wang Linjia was also killed. She, too, was traveling to attend the church camp in the San Fernando Valley.


Photo of Aftermath of Asiana Crash in SFO(CNN) — Asiana Airlines will not pursue a lawsuit against a Bay Area TV station for allegedly damaging the company’s image by reporting erroneous and offensive names of the pilots in the recent crash at San Francisco International Airport.

The company said Wednesday it wouldn’t file a suit after KTVU offered an official apology. The bogus names, which phonetically spelled out phrases such as “Something Wrong” and “We Too Low,” were read during KTVU’s noon broadcast Friday. The airline called the report “demeaning” and said it was “reviewing possible legal action.”

The Asiana 777 fell short of its approach and crashed on the runway at the airport on July 6. Three people were killed and more than 180 others were hurt. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating. The early stage of the investigation has focused heavily on the actions of the crew during the landing attempt.

Over the weekend, the Korean airline had said it would sue the NTSB and the station after an intern at the NTSB mistakenly confirmed “inaccurate and offensive” names as those of the pilots.

But at the beginning of the week, the airline seemed to have a change of heart.

A spokesman said the company didn’t have plans to file a separate suit against the NTSB. The agency apologized for the “inaccurate and offensive” names, which it said were erroneously confirmed by a summer intern. A government official with knowledge of the situation said Monday the intern is no longer with the agency.

As for KTVU, in Oakland, anchor Tori Campbell read the names Friday. The news station, a CNN affiliate, later apologized on air and on its website. But the airline continued to move ahead with a defamation claim against the TV station until the Wednesday announcement.

Ken Paulson, president of the First Amendment Center and the dean of the College of Mass Communication at Middle Tennessee State University, said “it’s very difficult to conceive of a defamation suit prevailing here.”

The key to such a case is to determine whether what was said damages an entity’s reputation and causes injury, and what care was taken, if any, to prevent that, he told CNN.

“Everyone who heard this understood it was a prank. And as ludicrous as the report was, at least the news station made a call to try to check,” he said.

Paulson notes that the real names of pilots were not given in the news report.

“Where is the real damage? Yes, it was tasteless and undoubtedly it caused some short-term emotional distress, but nothing that rises to the level of litigation,” he said.

It was not immediately clear who produced the fake names, but the NTSB said it was not the intern.

“The names were presented, by the station, to the intern for confirmation,” NTSB spokeswoman Kelly Nantel said. “The intern did not make up the names and provide them to the station.”

The NTSB said it does not release or confirm the identities of crew members or other people involved in transportation accidents.

Photo of Aftermath of Asiana Crash in SFOSAN FRANCISCO (CNN) — A third person has died from injuries sustained in last week’s crash of Asiana Airlines Flight 214, a hospital spokeswoman said Friday.

San Francisco General spokeswoman Rachael Kagan identified the victim as a “minor girl,” without identifying her name, age or background. The girl has been in critical condition at the Bay Area hospital since last Saturday’s crash.

Two other people — both 16-year-old girls from China — were reported dead soon after the Boeing 777 crash landed at San Francisco Airport.

Efforts are continuing to determine why the giant jet came in too low and too slow before its main landing gear, then tail slammed into a seawall on the airport’s edge, then spun and burned before screeching to a stop.

Of the passengers and crew on board, 304 people survived — a handful of whom remain hospitalized with injuries.

The runway where Flight 214 crashed should reopen Sunday, San Francisco’s airport director said late Thursday.

Repairs to the runway were set to begin Friday after the aircraft is removed, according to John Martin.

An in-depth review of the cockpit voice recorder shows two pilots called for the landing to be aborted before the plane hit a seawall and crashed onto the runway, the head of the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday.

The first internal call by one of the three pilots in the cockpit to abort the landing came three seconds before the crash and a second was made by another pilot 1.5 seconds before impact, NTSB chief Deborah Hersman said.

The agency has begun wrapping up its investigation at the airport and crews are cleaning up the debris left by the crash. Investigators turned the runway back over to the airport. The runway has been closed since Saturday’s crash.

The investigation is slowly shifting back to NTSB headquarters in Washington, where authorities will work to find a more definitive answer about what led to the crash.

The passenger jet’s main landing gear slammed into the seawall between the airport and San Francisco Bay, spinning the aircraft 360 degrees as it broke into pieces and eventually caught fire.

SAN FRANCISCO — One of the pilots on Asiana Airlines Flight 214 told investigators that he knew the ill-fated flight was coming in too low into San Francisco International Airport and tried to correct the path.

At a press conference Tuesday, the National Transportation Safety Board said it had interviewed three of the four pilots on the plane, which crash-landed Saturday. Two people were killed and scores were hurt.


Asiana Airlines Flight 214

Deborah A.P. Hersman, chairwoman of the NTSB,  said the training pilot, who served as the leader of the cockpit crew, noticed soon before the crash that the plane was going in too low. The pilot said the crew thought the auto throttle was maintaining speed but it was not. They crew tried to abort the landing but it was too late, she said.

Hersman added that the landing gear and the plane’s tail hit a sea wall dividing the runway from San Francisco Bay. The plane made a 360-degree spin before it came to a stop.

The flight crew was “very cooperative and forthright” with investigators, she added.

Lee Kang-kook was at the controls of the flight. It was his first time landing a Boeing 777 at the San Francisco airport, and with a key part of the airport’s automated landing system not working, he was forced to visually guide the massive jetliner onto the runway.

Officials said Lee and his more-experienced instructor pilot sitting next to him didn’t discuss the predicament. Cockpit voice recordings show that the two didn’t communicate until less than two seconds before the plane struck the sea wall and then slammed into Runway 28L.

Officials said the Asiana jetliner had fallen more than 30 knots below its target landing speed in the seconds before it crashed, even as the crew desperately tried to apply more engine power.


A group of Chinese students who planned a church-backed tour of California are heading home just days after two in their group were killed when their plane crash-landed in San Francisco.

Wang Linjia and Ye Mengyuan, 16-year-old girls from the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang, were supposed to arrive at West Valley Christian Church and School on Monday for a three-week American adventure with their 30 or so peers.

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 (@NTSB)

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 (@NTSB)

Instead, the two died on Saturday morning when Asiana Airlines Flight 214 crash-landed at San Francisco International Airport with 307 passengers and crew members on board.

Linjia and Mengyuan, whose bodies were found a mile apart, were the dramatic crash’s sole fatalities, although 182 other people were taken to hospitals after the incident.

They were supposed to work on their English skills at the West Hills church-run summer camp in the mornings and tour local universities in the afternoons.

They would have lived with host families in the San Fernando Valley and gone sightseeing on weekends. They had planned to tour the Bay Area before heading south.

But now, the Chinese student group has informed the West Hills school they won’t be attending, said school counselor Maggie Rojas.

In light of the incident, West Valley Christian Church announced a Thursday night prayer vigil at 7 p.m. and has launched the Chinese Student Memorial Fund.



SAN FRANCISCO — The pilot flying Asiana Flight 214, which crashed in San Francisco, killing two and injuring scores more, had only 43 hours of experience flying Boeing 777 aircraft, a spokeswoman for Asiana Airlines said Sunday.

BOmrpDcCUAAUOxw.jpg large

Asiana Airlines Flight 214 (@NTSB)

He was in training to fly the 777 when the crash occurred, she added.

Kang Kook Lee, born in 1967, was identified as the pilot of the plane that crashed.

Asiana spokeswoman Hyo Min Lee told The Times the pilot had been flying since 1994 and was a “very experienced pilot” flying other types of planes, including Boeing 747s, 737s and Airbus 320s. But “he was in training for B777,” she said.

The spokeswoman said Lee had traveled to SFO previously, but “not much” with the Boeing 777. She would not specify if Saturday’s flight was the pilot’s first to SFO in a Boeing 777.

The spokeswoman identified the co-pilot as Jung Min Lee, born in 1964.

“He has more experience,” the spokeswoman said, adding that the co-pilot had logged more than 12,000 hours of flying. “He had lots of experience with the B777,” she said.

Meanwhile, investigatorswere focusing on the crew and aircraft as they try to understand why the Boeing 777 jet clipped the end of runway before crashing, the chairwoman of the National Transportation Safety Board said Monday.

“We’re certainly looking at the crew and how they operated, how they were trained, at their experience,” NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hersman told CNN’s “New Day.”

“We’re also looking at the aircraft. We’re looking to see if the crew was using automation or was flying on autopilot, or they were hand-flying the airplane,” she said.


SAN FRANCISCO — One of the teenage passengers who died in the Asiana jetliner runway crash at San Francisco International Airport may have been run over by an emergency vehicle, officials said Sunday.

Two 16-year-old schoolgirls from China were found dead on the tarmac. One appears to have been ejected from the plane when it hit the seawall and began to fall apart, San Mateo County Coroner Robert J. Foucrault said. The other was found where the wreckage came to rest, near an escape chute.

The San Francisco Chronicle first reported that the second victim may have been run over by first responders. San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge on Sunday confirmed that the girl “did have injuries that were consistent with having been run over by a vehicle.”

“There were multiple agencies on the field yesterday and the NTSB is conducting a thorough investigation of the entire accident scene,” Talmadge said in an e-mail to The Times. “The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death of both deceased girls.”

In a follow-up interview, Foucrault said fire officials had brought the possibility to the attention of his investigators, but the girl’s cause of death is not yet known. An autopsy could be complete by Sunday night.

“The reason we do autopsies is to determine a cause of death,” he said. “What we are trying to do is determine whether this young lady died of an airline crash or of a secondary incident. If it does involve a secondary incident the people who may be involved should be aware of it, as well as the family.”

He added that, “Depending on the results I think it would only be fair to discuss those with the family before we discuss them with the media.”