Recent Articles
  • Santa Ana winds, dangerous heat will raise wildfire threat

    Friday's pleasant weather will give way to blazing, possibly record-setting heat that will have the region on high alert for wildfires.

  • Couple finds missing woman with dementia

    An 83-year-old woman with dementia who walked away from a San Diego convalescent hospital where she was a patient was found safe Tuesday.

  • Survey says city workplace environment improving

    SAN DIEGO – City of San Diego employees are generally content in their positions but aren’t thrilled with certain working conditions, according to a survey scheduled to be presented to the City Council Monday. Of 4,580 San Diego municipal workers questioned, 28 percent strongly agreed that they were generally satisfied in their current positions, while an additional 46 percent agreed, for a total of 74 percent. The study was conducted in February and March by the ETC Institute of Olathe, […]

  • Firefighters ‘fill the boot’ for muscular dystrophy

    SAN DIEGO – Hundreds of San Diego firefighters will launch a fundraising campaign Thursday to support kids and adults with muscular dystrophy and related muscle-debilitating diseases. Starting at 7 a.m., more than 800 firefighters from the San Diego Fire- Rescue Department and International Fire Fighters Local 145 will stand at intersections throughout the city of San Diego to collect money. “For more than six years, our members have been working hard for Muscular Dystrophy Association, filling the boot on behalf […]

  • Beachgoers beware: Strong rip currents expected

    Potentially dangerous rip currents and breaking waves are expected again Friday at San Diego County beaches.

  • Jennings Fire fully contained

    Crews working to extinguish the smoldering remnants of a wildfire that scorched some 400 acres in the Flinn Springs area had the burn area roughly 90 contained Thursday morning.

  • Motorcyclist was lane-splitting during fatal crash, CHP says

    A 31-year-old San Diego man was killed in a motorcycle crash on state Route 78 in San Marcos, authorities said Thursday.

  • Gunman in Vista SWAT standoff surrenders

    VISTA – A domestic violence suspect who fired a shotgun during a brief standoff with authorities at a Vista home was behind bars Tuesday. Henry Anthony Flores, 49, allegedly battered and choked his girlfriend at the home in the vicinity of Girard Way and Coventry Road, then armed himself with the shotgun. The suspect pointed the weapon at the victim and her teenage son, but the teen ran off and called 911 around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to the sheriff’s […]

  • Wrong-way driver causes head-on crash on I-5, killing 2

    Two drivers were killed early Friday when one of them drove the wrong way on Interstate 5 in Oceanside and smashed head-on into another car.