SAN DIEGO — Math enthusiasts know all about it, and the rest of the population is probably hoping for cherry pie.
But March 14 is Pi Day. And each year presents ample opportunity for learning.
To 31 decimal places, the celebrated irrational number that never ends is 3.1415926535897932384626433832795. If you want to appreciate what it looks like to 10 THOUSAND digits, click here.
A few more tidbits about pi and Pi Day:
- Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It’s not equal to the ratio of any two whole numbers, so an approximation — 22/7 — is used in many calculations.
- Pi is essential in architecture and construction and was used frequently by early astronomers.
- Pi has been known for about 4,000 years, but it started to be called by the Greek letter only in the 1700s.
- There are no occurrences of the sequence 123456 in the first million digits of pi .
- The true “randomness” of pi’s digits — 3.14 and so on — has never been proven.
- Pi Day started 28 years ago at San Francisco’s Exploratorium. Physicist Larry Shaw, who worked in the electronics group at the museum, started celebrating pi on March 14, 1988, primarily with museum staffers. The tradition has grown to embrace math enthusiasts from all walks of life.
- March 14 also happens to be Albert Einstein’s birthday.
For more about pi, visit www.piday.org.
Below is list of 30+ deals. We will be updating the list more throughout the day. Feel free to share with your readers.
- Bakers Square – Take $2 off pie orders on March 13 – March 14. Try the double crust fruit pie, which includes the mathematical pi symbol on the crust. Valid in-restaurant only.
- Blaze Pizza – Land any pizza pie for $3.14.
- Bojangles – Dive your fork into a slice of sweet potato pie for $3.14.
- Boston Market – Gobble down a free chicken pot pie with any individual meal and drink purchase.
- Carrows Restaurants – Wolf down any slice of pie for $3.14.
- Coco’s Bakery Restaurants – Treat yourself to any slice of Signature pie for $3.14.
- Fresh Brothers – Join the Fresh Fan Club to get 10% off any pie order.
- Godfather’s Pizza – Snatch up these specials:
* A medium one-topping pizza for $3.99 when you purchase a large specialty pizza.
- Grand Traverse Pie Company – Check out these Pie Day special offers:
* A free slice of Michigan ABC Pie with any purchase. The ABC pie includes apples, blueberries, and cherries.
* Free pie for a year and prizes of $150 in Grand Traverse Pie Company gift cards to winners of their annual pi video contest.
- Hungry Howie’s – Purchase any Howie Bread to get a “medium one-topping pizza for $3.14.
- Marie Callender’s – Slice up a fresh lemon meringue pie for $8.99.
- Pi Pizzeria – Check out these two Offers:
* Buy one large pizza, get one large pizza for $3.14.
* A free large pizza with proof of birthdate.
- Pieology – Snag a custom pizza for $3.14 when you join the Pie Life eClub.
- Stevi B’s Pizza Buffet – Feast on an unlimited pizza buffet for $3.14.
- Urban Bricks Pizza – On Pi Day, you can purchase a pizza for $3.14.
- Villa Italian Kitchen – Slice up a whole cheese pizza for $3.14.
- Your Pie – You get pizza, select combos, and craft beer for $3.14.
- Whole Foods – Get $3.14 off any large bakery pie or large Take & Bake pizza.
Non-Food Pi Day Deals
- &Pizza – Get hitched with a free wedding and party at &Pizza.
- Kohl’s – Shop online-only deals on pie bakeware and accessories.
- Adafruit – Shop select Raspberry Pi products for 20% off.
- Half.com – Receive 95% off The Life of Pi paperback.
- Maker Shed – Take 10% off Raspberry Pi Kit.
- Spreadshirts – Show your Pi Day spirit with a Pirate Pi Day t-shirt by Mudge Studios for $10.
- ThinkGeek – Spend $31.41 or more at the online store to get a free Pi Day t-shirt.
- Zazzle – Score 14% off your Pi Day order.
Link to original list: https://www.offers.com/blog/post/pi-day-freebies-deals/