Councilmembers propose giving Chargers $1 lease to revive stadium talks

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO - Four members of the San Diego City Council are proposing that the Qualcomm Stadium site be leased to the Chargers for $1 in "one last concerted effort" to keep the team in San Diego.

The proposal by council President Myrtle Cole and council members Chris Cate, Scott Sherman and Lorie Zapf was made in a letter sent to Chargers Chairman Dean Spanos, with copies to National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell and other team owners.

Spanos has been calling for a new playing facility for his team for more than 15 years. Last month, voters rejected increasing the city's hotel room tax to partially fund a downtown stadium project.

The result for Measure C has raised speculation that the Chargers would exercise an option to become the second franchise in Los Angeles along with the Rams.

Tuesday, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer weighed in on the council's proposal to keep the chargers from leaving.

“While measure C was not supported by San Diego Chargers it wasn’t a rejection of San Diego Chargers it was a rejection of that particular plan,” said Mayor Faulcoer.

Read more LA sports anchor Roggin: ‘Chargers are 99% on the way to Los Angeles’

Spanos has said he will wait until after the football season to decide the team's next steps. He and stadium counsel Fred Maas have met with Mayor Kevin Faulconer recently.

"The hour is late, and the time to find a stadium solution is getting dangerously short," the undated letter from the council members begins.

They went on to tout the benefits of the Mission Valley location, writing: "The development of the current site with a $1 per year 99-year lease would be a good starting point for discussion."

The Chargers could create "an NFL experience" on the site in collaboration with the league and San Diego State University, according to the letter made public Tuesday.

Read more Chargers, mayor meet for first time since stadium ballot measure fails

"Before leaving 60 years of tradition and loyal fans, let's give one last concerted effort to come to the table and hammer this out face to face, working together toward a common goal of keeping the NFL in America's Finest City," the council members wrote.

"If we fail to come to an agreement, at least we will know that nothing was left untested and we can part ways knowing that we gave it our all," they said. "We ask that the Chargers give San Diego fans another chance."

"The letter is to showcase that there is momentum from the council side not just the mayor to have a conversation," said Councilmember Chris Cate.