SAN DIEGO – The Chargers met with San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer Tuesday for the first time since voters rejected Measure C last week.
The ballot measure, which would have raised hotel room taxes to partially fund a downtown football stadium for the Chargers, required two-thirds voter approval. Support came up short, with 57 percent of voters casting their ballots against the measure and 43 percent voting in favor of it.
The mayor said the tone of the meeting was positive and that both sides look forward to remaining in touch.
FOX 5 reached out to Chargers stadium adviser Fred Maas, who released this statement:
“We are not commenting on discussions with the mayor or anyone else. We are open to all solutions, however we will not be providing public comments at this time.”
Chargers owner Dean Spanos says he’s focusing on football until the end of the season.
In a pre-election interview with FOX 5 Anchor Kathleen Bade, Spanos said:
"I'm really looking at the support we're going to get or not get. If we get 30 or 35 percent voter approval, that will tell me something. If we get 55 to 60 percent, that's pretty compelling. That will tell me something else. But until Tuesday comes and we see the actual vote, there is no Plan B, there is no second strategy in terms of 'If I get 50 plus one, this is what I'm going to do.' I want to wait and see what the outcome is and then I'm going to take my time afterwards and decide what I want to do."
In a message Spanos sent to Chargers fans last Wednesday, he thanked everyone who supported the measure and said the team's future hasn't yet been decided.
"In terms of what comes next for the Chargers, it's just too early to give you an answer," Spanos wrote. "We are going to diligently explore and weigh our options, and do what is needed to maintain our options, but no decision will be announced until after the football season concludes and no decision will be made in haste." (Read the full letter here).
Until then, a stadium solution is still up in the air, and many fans will continue to worry about a possible move to Los Angeles.
Dr. Jim Lackritz, a sports business professor at San Diego State University, gives the Chargers a D- for its lack of communication and collaboration with the city.
“I really believe [Spanos] wants to stay here, that if he could get things worked out, that San Diego is where he would like to stay,” Lackritz said.
"The Chargers threw out the Carson initiative, which was kind of a one-shot and a slap in the face to a lot of the people in San Diego, and then when they said they want to be here, they threw out the stadium proposal for downtown, which has a lot of really, really good merits except they didn’t consult with anyone ahead of time to get some buy-in."