BREAKING: Ronny Jackson withdraws nomination as VA secretary following flurry of allegations

PLNU bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 amid safety concerns

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO -- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones are no longer allowed on the campus of Point Loma Nazarene University.

The ban comes after several reports of the phone catching fire or exploding.

On Wednesday following an announcement that Samsung was halting production of the device, a public safety email was sent out by PLNU.

The email read in part:

Samsung recently recalled all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, stating that "affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk."

Effective immediately, students may not use original or replacement Galaxy Note7 devices on any PLNU campus.

“It basically said if you have a Galaxy Note 7 that you probably shouldn’t bring it to class and keep it in your dorm,” said Michael Lombrano, a student. “It also asked students to get it replaced.”

Jill Monroe, Director of Public Affairs told FOX 5 the decision was based on safety.

“It really is to maintain a safe residential environment. We’re entrusted with our students on our campus and so to ensure that we can at least find a way to move forward on that, I think that’s the intent behind this,” said Monroe.

Lombrano agrees with the safety protocol, but said it’s also an inconvenience for students.

“At the same time it still sucks for anyone who has a phone and now they can’t bring it to class or have to go out of their way to go to a carrier and switch it out,” said Lombrano.

UCSD, San Diego State and USD told FOX 5 they have no plans of banning the Galaxy Note 7 at this time.

Monroe said while the ban is effective immediately at the Point Loma campus, it’s not clear how enforcement will be conducted.

“To ensure that with this nationwide recall our students are aware and equipped to process the recall and move onto a device that wouldn’t pose this safety risk," she said.